Smoke Detectors/Carbon Monoxide
Though at times forgotten, having a reliable smoke detector can save your life. In order to ensure the safety of you and your family, please take advantage of the following advice regarding smoke detector maintenance as provided by the Arcadia Fire Department.
- Install smoke detectors on the ceiling (at least six inches from the wall and away from air vents) in every bedroom and in every hallway. Do not install them in the kitchen or close to the shower because steam may trigger frequent false alarms.
- Test battery operated smoke detectors each month.
- Clean smoke detectors with the brush attachment of a vacuum cleaner at least twice each year to avoid dust build up in smoke chambers.
- Change batteries at least every year.
- Replace battery operated smoke detectors every five to seven years.
Published: July 27, 2021