WHAT IS AN EXPLORER ?
An explorer is a volunteer scout that participates in civilian observer ride-a-longs. He or she assists the police with searches for evidence; report writing, desk officer duties, command post operations, crime prevention surveillance, disaster assistance, crowd and traffic control, security at major events, and other challenging assignments, some of which help the Explorers earn money for their post. Explorers also participate in educational and recreational trips, which involve visits to other police agencies throughout California and the Nation. With the training and direction received as Police Explorers, many young men and women have gone on to choose law enforcement as a career. Others have chosen to enter the Armed Forces and are now serving around the world.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Arcadia Police Department Explorer Program is designed for youths 14 to 18 years of age. After graduating from the San Gabriel Valley Law Enforcement Explorer Academy, explorers are assigned to Explorer Post 101. Police officers then work with the explorers in an effort to provide community service. Officers also provide insight and guidance to explorers who decide to pursue a career in law enforcement.
The Explorer Academy is held at the San Gabriel Valley Law Enforcement Explorer Academy located in the City of Arcadia. Training includes instruction in crime prevention, basic law, report writing, drill and ceremonies, physical training, and other topics. Instruction is provided by current and retired Police Officers. Upon successfully completing the Academy requirements, recruits will receive a certificate verifying completion of training and an identification card.
- Be at least 14 years of age and in the ninth grade, or 15 (regardless of the grade).
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher in all schoolwork.
- Pass an oral interview and a background investigation.
- Have no record of arrest convictions.
- Undergo a medical examination to qualify for insurance.
- Be free of any physical deficiencies that would jeopardize yourself or others.
- Maintain good moral character.
- Register with Learning for Life (Boy Scouts of America)
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in Explorer activities.
- Attend and graduate from the Explorer Academy.
EQUIPMENT AND UNIFORMS
All equipment and uniforms (except shoes) are provided by the Police Department.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contact a member of the Explorer Coordination Team at the Arcadia Police Department:
Tel: (626) 574-5151
HOW TO GET STARTED
You may apply anytime that is convenient for you. Applications are accepted and processed on an on-going basis. You may obtain an application from the Arcadia Police Department - Records Front Desk. The Records Front Desk is located at the main entrance of the Police Station.
Completed applications may be dropped off in-person or mailed to:
Arcadia Police Department
Attn: Explorer Program
250 W. Huntington Drive
Arcadia, CA, 91007