Arcadia, CA 91006
Tel: (626) 821-5567
Fax: (626) 447-8050
Director of Library & Museum Services
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday
10 a.m.– 9 p.m.
Friday & Saturday
10 a.m.– 6 p.m.
(Closed Sundays & Holidays)
Let us bring Arcadia’s history to you!
The Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage is pleased to offer Arcadia
Local Historians as speakers for public functions. Our speakers are volunteers at the Museum who have conducted their own original research about Arcadia’s history and are pleased to share it with you.
This program is offered free of charge. If you are interested in having one of these speakers come to your event or meeting, please read the guidelines below and then complete the following form to submit a booking request and Museum staff will contact you shortly.
Local Historians and Historical Talks:
Dale Carter: “Santa Anita Depot: Lucky Baldwin’s Connection to the East and West”
About the speaker:
Dale Carter is a retired engineer (mechanical, not locomotive) and has enjoyed trains by playing with his Lionel train as a child, building a small HO scale railroad layout, chasing vintage steam engines that occasionally come through the southern California area and being a docent at the Santa Anita Depot. Questions that came up as a docent at the depot brought him to the Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage for information, and that ultimately resulted in the creation of this talk and Dale’s current term as an Arcadia Museum Commissioner.
About the talk:
This talk presents historical background of the Santa Fe depot which served Elias Baldwin’s ranch and Sierra Madre from 1890 to 1940. Making way for the I-210 freeway it was relocated to the Los Angeles County Arboretum and has served as a museum in the historic structures collection there since 1970. The presentation includes a photographic tour... enough information hopefully to entice you to visit the depot and The Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage.
About the speaker:
Local resident and visual artist Laura Henneforth has called Arcadia home for over 25 years. Her artwork has been displayed in various venues throughout Southern California. For the past 6 ½ years Laura has volunteered at the Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage working primarily in collections and exhibits. She is an active member of the Pasadena Society of Artists and the SoPa art collective.
“Arcadia Walk of Fame: Who Was Who in Arcadia”
About the talk:
A brief survey of some famous people who have a special connection to Arcadia. A growing and rotating exhibit at the museum site, Who Was Who In Arcadia, features some established ‘favorites’ like Stevie Nicks and George Takei. A variety of talented celebrities will also take center stage in this spirited talk, some you may not have heard of yet. Time can range between 30-60 minutes depending on the need of the audience.
Please note these guidelines:
- Your event or meeting must be in a public space.For example: a meeting hall, hotel event space or public building.We are unable to present our talks in private homes or private spaces.
- You must provide a laptop, projection system, electrical cords and projection screen for the speaker and have the system set up when the speaker arrives.The speaker will bring their presentation on a thumb drive.You will be responsible for making sure the presentation machinery is in working order and will run the speaker’s presentation according to your equipment requirements.(Some of our speakers may choose to bring their own laptop to work from instead of a thumb drive.)
- There must be a minimum of 5 people in attendance at your event.
- The length of the talk will be 30 minutes to 1 hour, including Q & A. We will work with you on the program logistics to fit your needs.
- You must book the speaker at least 2 weeks before the program you are requesting.
- The speaker will not accept any funds or payment for their talk.They are volunteers of the Gilb Museum and wish to donate their time.If you would like to make a financial donation directly to the Gilb Museum, please contact the Curator.Thank you!
- Communities served by this program are: Arcadia, Duarte, Monrovia, Pasadena, Sierra Madre, Bradbury, El Monte, Temple City, Alhambra, San Gabriel, San Marino, South Pasadena and Altadena.
- If your location is not listed here, we are unable to service your area, however, we will accommodate your group to come into the Museum for the same program.
- If you would like to book one of these talks, please fill out the form here.
After our speaker has presented their talk to your group, please come back and fill out our survey here.