Arcadia History Room Featured Historical Pictures
The Arcadia History Room is shown by appointment only. Call (626) 821-5569 for an appointment, or (626) 574-5440 for more information about the Museum’s collection.
All images courtesy of the Arcadia History Collection, Arcadia Public Library, unless otherwise noted.
ON THE AIR
"On the Air" was the theme of a combined Arcadia-Monrovia float entry in the 1940 Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade. The float featured a floral radio. An arched banner emphasized the longstanding good and neighborly relationship between Arcadia and Monrovia. Notice Vroman’s, now Southern California’s oldest and largest independent bookstore, in the background.
(dec2018-jan2019; ID 1291)
ARCADIA HIGH SCHOOL APACHE MARCHING BAND IN D.C.
To celebrate Dwight D. Eisenhower’s second term in office, Arcadia High School’s Apache Marching Band proudly participated in the splendor and spectacle of the Presidential Inaugural Parade along Pennsylvania Avenue, in 1957. Vice President Richard Nixon, having met with the Apache Band, dubbed the group “Ambassadors of Arcadia.” The marching band was under the direction of Mr. Ray Bowman. The Capitol’s dome is seen in the background. Photo courtesy of the Arcadia History Collection, Arcadia Public Library.
(Oct-Nov 2018. ID#1107)
WESTERNER INN SWIMMING POOL
This c. 1951 photo of the Westerner Inn shows a portion of the exterior of the guest accommodations and the swimming pool. The Westerner Inn was built at 161 Colorado Place in Arcadia, CA, in 1946, on a former cornfield. It was on Route 66, across from the Santa Anita Park Race Track, and the San Gabriel Mountains are visible in the background. The Westerner Inn was sold in 1984.
Photo courtesy of the Arcadia History Collection, Arcadia Public Library. Aug-Sep2018 ID 423.
LAWN BOWLING AT ARCADIA COUNTY PARK IN THE LATE 1940s.
Photo courtesy of the Arcadia History Collection, Arcadia Public Library, Jun-Jul2018. ID#1334
The Santa Anita Bowling Green Club was formed in June, 1937 with an initial membership of twenty men. Membership had been restricted to men until 1960, when four women were welcomed into the club. In 1969, Lilly Godfrey became the club’s first woman president. The Santa Anita Bowling Green Club and the bowling greens at Arcadia County Park still exist. If you want to try your hand at rolling a ball to hit a “jack,” contact the Arcadia County Park at 626-821-4619 for details. Nighttime bowling is also available.