Arcadia, CA 91006
Tel: (626) 821-5567
Fax: (626) 447-8050
Director of Library & Museum Services
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday
10 a.m.– 9 p.m.
Friday & Saturday
10 a.m.– 6 p.m.
(Closed Sundays & Holidays)
HISTORY OF THE JERRY BROADWELL CHILDREN’S ROOM
The Children's Room is named after Captain Jerry Lee Broadwell, the first fire fighter to give his life fighting a fire in Arcadia. He died on August 22, 1975 of burns received two days earlier in the line of duty.
To honor his heroism, Jerry's fellow fire fighters and grateful friends in the community formed the Jerry Broadwell Memorial Committee. Because of Jerry's devotion to children and his belief in libraries and in education, the Committee chose the 1976 renovation of this children's room as a living memorial to him.
Since that time, the Children's Room has enjoyed a close relationship with the Arcadia Fire Department.
A fantastic puppet theater, built and donated by the members of the Arcadia Firefighters' Association in 1997, is housed in the Imagination Theater for use during storytimes and special programs. The dedication plaque reads: "THE PUPPET HOUSE" Dedicated to the children of Arcadia built and donated by The Arcadia Firefighters' Association for use in the Jerry Broadwell Children's Room of the Arcadia Public Library January 28, 1997.
The Jerry Broadwell Children's Room provides information resources, cultural enrichment, and recreation / literary services to the community's children, up through 8th grade, and their families.
OVERVIEW OF SERVICESThe Jerry Broadwell Children’s room provides a range of services for children and their families.
- We can help you find the perfect book for any occasion
- Want to read for fun? Ask us for a list of great books at your reading level!
- Doing a report? We can help you find the information you need in paper or electronic form!
- Want something a little different? We also have DVDs, magazines, Playaways, Playaway Views, and books on CD!
- We can educate & entertain you with fun, free programs
- Storytimes are available for babies, toddlers, and PreK-1st graders. Advance registration is required.
- Family Nights, Saturday Specials, and more are available for kids ages 14 & under and their families. No registration is required for most of these events.
- Use the Library's Internet computer stations, learning stations, or WiFi connection
- If you have a Library card, Internet usage is free for up to two hours on our Internet computer stations.
- Use the four Gates Foundation learning stations to access fun, educational programs.
- WiFi is always free to connect with on your compatible laptop.
- Access our website from home to enjoy the Library 24/7
- Check our Catalog to see if the books, DVDs, or other materials you want are available.
- Monitor your Library account to see what you have checked out, renew items, place holds, and create your own reading lists.
- Use our eResource databases for homework and research. These databases are free subscriptions that are made available to you. Click here to explore our free databases. You will be required to enter your Library card number and your password. Your default password is the last four digits of your telephone number.
- Display your treasures
- The Children’s Room has five display cases dedicated to showcasing items owned, created, or collected by children. Library staff invites children to sign up to display their materials. Please contact the Children’s Services Information Desk for more details.
- Questions are welcome at the Children’s Information Desk
- Our friendly, knowledgeable staff can help you find the information you need, in either paper or electronic form. Whatever your question might be, the place to ask is the at the Children’s Information Desk: (626) 821-5566.