On March 5, 2019, the Arcadia City Council unanimously placed Measure A – a local ¾ cent sales tax measure - on the June 4, 2019 Special Election ballot. If approved by voters, Measure A would provide locally-controlled funds to maintain Arcadia’s public safety and other City services.
According to the Arcadia Citizen's Fiscal Advisory Committee’s (CFAC) Final Report, after a thorough and comprehensive review of the City’s finances, additional revenue is required to maintain City services at current levels. For example, the City currently has five fewer police officers than it did in 2008. Without additional revenue, the City Council will have to consider reductions in City services in order to balance the budget, such as:
- Eliminating as many as 13 police officer positions, affecting police patrols and response times;
- Eliminating as many as 10 firefighter/paramedic positions, affecting emergency medical response services and fire coverage in north Arcadia, including our hillside areas.
If approved by voters, Measure A funds can be used to maintain service priorities identified by the public such as:
- Preventing and investigating property crimes, like thefts and burglaries
- Keeping fire stations operating at current levels
- Maintaining police patrols around neighborhood schools and parks
- Cleaning and maintaining public areas including commercial districts, residential neighborhoods, and parks
- Retaining and attracting local business
- Maintaining the City’s finances
Measure A requires all funds to be used in Arcadia and also requires independent annual audits and public reports to verify that funds are spent properly. No funds can be taken by the state, county, or federal government.
To participate in the June 4, 2019 special election, you must be an Arcadia resident and a registered voter. The last day to register to vote in this election is Monday, May 20, 2019. Voter registration information can be obtained by visiting the County Registrar Recorder website at www.lavote.net or by picking up a voter registration form at the City Clerk's office, Arcadia Public Library, or any post-office.
For more information about Measure A and the CFAC’s Final Report, please visit the links below.