Arcadia, CA 91007
Tel: (626) 574-5424
Fax: (626) 821-0092
Administrative Services Director
Hours of Operation
7:30 a.m.– 5:30 p.m.
Friday (Closed alternate Fridays)
7:30 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.
Welcome to the Purchasing Division of the City of Arcadia! We appreciate your interest in doing business with the City of Arcadia. We hope the guide Doing business with the City of Arcadia will benefit you as a new vendor or present supplier. This brochure will provide a brief outline of our purchasing policies and procedures.
The City of Arcadia makes its purchases under authority granted in the City Charter and the Municipal Code. Purchases are made by competitive bidding procedures and by negotiation.
Each Department is responsible for purchasing the supplies and services necessary for their functions. The first point of contact should be Purchasing, and Purchasing may refer vendors directly to the departments.
Purchasing Commitment and General Ethics
The City of Arcadia subscribes to the Standards of Purchasing Practices established by the California Association of Public Procurement Officials:
- To regard public service as a sacred trust, giving primary consideration to the interests of the public agency that employs us.
- To purchase without prejudice, seeking to obtain the maximum value for each dollar expended.
- To avoid unfair practices, giving all qualified vendors equal opportunity.
- To honor our obligations and require that obligations to our public agency be honored.
- To accord vendor representatives courteous treatment, remembering that these representatives are important sources of information and assistance in solving our purchasing needs.
- To refuse to accept any form of commercial bribery, and prevent any appearance of so doing.
- To be receptive to counsel from our colleagues, and to cooperate with them to promote a spirit of teamwork and unity.
- To conduct ourselves with fairness and dignity, and to demand honesty and truth in the purchasing process.
- To strive for greater knowledge of purchasing methods and of the materials we purchase.
- To cooperate with all organizations and individuals involved in activities designed to enhance the development of the purchasing profession, remembering that our actions reflect on the entire purchasing profession
Local Business Preference
The City of Arcadia grants a preference to vendors whose place of business is located within City limits only if price, invoice terms and delivery time are equal.
The City of Arcadia is not exempt from paying taxes. Price quoted by vendors must include any sales and use applicable taxes in their price bid and invoices.
Vendors who would like to be listed on the City's Bid Solicitation List should download and submit an application to be added to the Vendor Application for Approved City's Bid Solicitation List. Vendors are randomly selected for each bid in order to maintain equity in our bidding procedures. No guarantee is given that you will receive every bid solicited.
All new vendors must submit a completed W-9 form prior to sending their invoices to ensure proper processing.
Standard Purchase Order Terms and Conditions
A copy of the standard Purchase Order Terms and Conditions can be found in this link for your review.
"Arcadia Weekly" is the newspaper of record for all routine advertised formal bids. Bids announcements are published at least once, no less than 10 days prior to bid the bid submission date. Bid announcements may also be found in the City's website, in the Bid and RFP Notices section.
Gifts and Gratuities
The City of Arcadia maintains a strict policy prohibiting the acceptance by its employees of gifts/or gratuities from any supplier or potential supplier. Vendors are requested to cooperate in this regard by not making such offers to any City employee.
Methods of Procurement
Full guidelines of the City's Procurement policies can be located in Chapter 8 of the City's Municipal code. The following methods of purchasing are used by City Staff:
Goods and Products are awarded to the lowest, responsible, responsive bidder that meets or exceeds the specifications set forth in the bid documents.
- Purchases less than $2,500, no bids are required.
- Purchases over $2,500 and less than $30,000 require informal solicited bidding. A purchase order is required.
- Purchases over $30,000 require formal solicited bidding. Bids are open and read aloud publicly by the City Clerk's Office. City Council approval to award a purchase order is required.
Services are awarded based on qualifications and experience and not price alone.
- Purchases less than $2,500, no bids are required.
- Purchases over $2,500 and less than $15,000 require informal solicited bidding. A professional services agreement and a purchase order are required.
- Purchases over $15,000 require formal solicited bidding. Only the proposer's names are read aloud by the City Clerk's office at the public opening. City Council approval to award a professional services agreement and a purchase order are required.
The City of Arcadia maintains Letters of Understanding for priority purchasing with vendors in times of an emergency or disaster. Download information about how you can become one of these vendors and a Letter of Understanding For Emergency Purchases Form.
Business License and Permits
Businesses and contractors doing work in Arcadia should verify with the Development Services Department as to what licenses may be required. Please call (626) 574-5423 for further details.